Software Engineer, Data Platform (API) (High Seniority)
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
The Domain Graph & APIs team is leading Benchling into a Domain Driven API-first world. Benchling is a Trusted Open Platform for Scientific Research for our customers, who do cutting edge research based on complex data models and workflows modeled and executed on Benchling. The Domain Graph is a ubiquitous modeling language based on GraphQL SDL to map the language of science to the types and data models that form the basis of a consistent platform and product semantics and experience..
The Domain Graph & APIs platform team is fundamentally evolving Benchling’s core development stack to be Domain Driven and API first. They partner with other platform and product teams to ensure modeling consistency and best practices, as well as defining interfaces to adjacent systems that persist data and generate change events. As the lead architect on the Domain Graph team, you will have the opportunity to shape the technical strategy and drive adoption across Benchling product and platform teams and your work will be key to several company-level goals.
- Lead architectural vision, strategy and alignment across platform and product teams
- Develop a scalable Domain Model Governance structure to ensure codified domain modeling best practices and integration with other platform frameworks.
- Lead multi-quarter initiatives projects end-to-end, from initial design, to prototype, to large-scale rollout.
- Design and implement rich backend type systems, components and architecture.
- Design and implement backend models and API endpoints for complex scientific workflows.
- Work closely with product managers, and other engineering teams to ensure the domain modeling best practices and coverage.
- Help rapidly scale our product and team. As a member of the engineering team, you'll be an integral part of how we mature our tooling, best practices, engineering processes, and hiring.
Check out our engineering blog for some examples of past work. Here are some other examples of recent and future projects:
- Tools to simulate DNA assembly - computers can assist scientists by informing scientific decisions with complex calculations. Our bulk assembly tool allows scientists to simulate constructing hundreds of DNA constructs in parallel, visualizing the end result and highlighting potential issues.
- Chemistry tools - we have focused primarily on biology and biotech for the last 5 years, but are just starting new initiatives to expand our tools to support chemists as well. This will involve modeling complex chemical reactions within Benchling, and is an opportunity to see a new product grow from the ground up.
- Robot and machine integration - scientists are increasingly using automated hardware in the lab to perform measurements. By integrating Benchling with machines like liquid handlers, we are working towards a world where a scientist can perform a physical experiment entirely using software.
- Have 10+ years of experience in software engineering.
- Strong track record of architecting and operating durable API stacks and ecosystems such as (but not limited to) OpenAPI spec driven development.
- Have strong cross-team collaboration and leadership skills to achieve collaborative problem solving and alignment
- Have strong abilities in problem solving and iterating on feedback.
- Enjoy ownership and building key pieces of product and platform jointly.
- Are interested in learning more about life science (prior knowledge is not required; desire to learn is a must).
- Willing to work onsite in our SF office 3 days a week.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $204,425 - $276,000.
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.