Software Engineer, Tenant Lifecycle
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
The Tenant Lifecycle team builds the platform and tooling for customers and Benchling employees to effectively manage a deployment of Benchling end-to-end. Each Benchling customer often has multiple tenants: a production tenant and a few test tenants. The team enables the entire lifecycle of a tenant, from creation to management to deletion. They unlock key workflows, such as enabling customers to test new Benchling features and iterate on their own processes before rolling them out to production environments. They partner with the infrastructure teams in solidifying the concept of multi-tenancy in our cloud architecture. As an engineer on the Tenant Lifecycle team, you'll work with many teams in product and platform, and your work will be key to several company-level goals.
- Own projects end-to-end, from initial design, to prototype, to large-scale rollout.
- Design and implement rich frontend components and architecture. We build and operate one of the largest, richest React applications out there and power complex scientific analyses.
- Design and implement backend models and API endpoints for complex scientific workflows.
- Work closely with product managers, designers, marketing, and sales to ensure the right context is being shared.
- Help rapidly scale our product and team. As a member of the engineering team, you'll be an integral part of how we mature our tooling, best practices, engineering processes, and hiring.
Check out our engineering blog for some examples of past work. Here are some other examples of recent and future projects:
- Tools to simulate DNA assembly - computers can assist scientists by informing scientific decisions with complex calculations. Our bulk assembly tool allows scientists to simulate constructing hundreds of DNA constructs in parallel, visualizing the end result and highlighting potential issues.
- Chemistry tools - we have focused primarily on biology and biotech for the last 5 years, but are just starting new initiatives to expand our tools to support chemists as well. This will involve modeling complex chemical reactions within Benchling, and is an opportunity to see a new product grow from the ground up.
- Robot and machine integration - scientists are increasingly using automated hardware in the lab to perform measurements. By integrating Benchling with machines like liquid handlers, we are working towards a world where a scientist can perform a physical experiment entirely using software.
- Have 3-7 years of experience in software engineering.
- Build software with a product-first approach. You ship code quickly and care about the real world impact of your code.
- Have strong abilities in problem solving and iterating on feedback.
- Enjoy ownership and building key pieces of product.
- Are interested in learning more about life science (prior knowledge is not required; desire to learn is a must).
- Willing to work onsite in our SF office 3 days a week.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $157,250-$212,750.
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous and flexible vacation
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.