Software Engineer, Performance and Observability
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
The Performance Engineering team develops internal libraries and tooling that implement Observability best practices and collaborates with application and infrastructure teams to improve performance throughout our stack. In this role, you’ll complement deep Software Development Experience with Observability and SRE principles to directly improve Benchling’s customer experience and enable us to scale to meet increasing demand and expanding product offerings. You will have broad authority to identify and implement performance improvements, and influence engineering priorities through a unique perspective.
- Design, develop, and implement internal libraries and tooling that adhere to industry best practices in Observability.
- Have the autonomy to identify, propose, and implement performance improvements across the technology stack.
- Build resources that allow application and infrastructure teams to understand performance bottlenecks and areas for improvement.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to address performance issues impacting customers.
- Directly contribute to overall customer experience by identifying and resolving performance-related challenges.
- Own projects end-to-end, from initial design, to prototype, to large-scale rollout.
- Facilitate knowledge sharing within the team and across engineering to build a culture of continuous performance improvement.
- Have 3-7 years of experience in software engineering.
- Build software with a product-first approach. You ship code quickly and care about the real world impact of your code.
- Have strong abilities in problem solving and iterating on feedback.
- Enjoy ownership and building key pieces of product, while collaborating with other teams.
- Have used modern Observability tools and practices.
- Are interested in learning more about life science (prior knowledge is not required; desire to learn is a must).
- Willing to work onsite in our SF office 3 days a week.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $157,250 to $212,750.
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.