Product Design Leader, Data and Apps
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
As the Design Leader for the Data and Applications pillar, you will be responsible for guiding a skilled and dynamic team of designers in redefining how scientists do their work. The primary objective of this team is to innovate scientific workflows, enhancing efficiency, quality and speed in their endeavors—ultimately helping to drive the biotech revolution.
You will collaborate with fellow leaders in Product and Engineering to gain insights into customer needs, shape our product strategy, facilitate seamless execution and maximize the value of our solutions. Additionally you will be instrumental in providing clarity and fostering growth within your design team.
An ideal person for this team will be able to balance customer needs and priorities with the goals of our R&D team to deliver highly consistent, delightful user experiences at scale.
- Partner with leadership teams across Product, Engineering, Design, and Strategy to build and refine our strategy, organization, product roadmaps, and approach to execution
- Work closely with our customers to understand how they’re using our product, and what we can do to make them more productive
- Enable your designers to deliver meaningful solutions, helping them work through uncertainty and obstacles
- Grow the next generation of design leadership within your team
- Contribute to developing a culture of design in a company that recognizes user experience as a key differentiator
- We support a flexible hybrid environment that balances in-person collaboration and remote work
- You’ve successfully built and managed world-class enterprise SaaS Design teams to build complex platform products that serve complex customers.
- You have 8+ years as a design leader working on enterprise SaaS platforms with at least 5+ years of experience as a people manager.
- You thrive in the challenge of distilling clarity and focus from ambiguity and complexity, and are a strong problem solver that can gather, prioritize, and drive execution on customer and business requirements
- You possess influential leadership and interpersonal skills that enable you to build strong relationships with customers, your direct team, company peers, and company leadership.
- You have a growth mindset that allows you to change your mind and readily admit mistakes. You ask for and give direct feedback.
- You are excellent at listening to others and articulating ideas in written and verbal form, both for internal and external communication.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $195,200 to $292,800.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For applicants for U.S.-based roles only: All new hires in the United States are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and to provide proof of vaccination prior to their first day of employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical or religious reasons, we will explore potential reasonable accommodations; however, Benchling may not be able to grant such accommodations in all cases if doing so would cause undue hardship.