Head of Core IT Engineering
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Benchling is looking for an experienced IT Engineering Leader to join our IT organization. Reporting to the Head of Business Technology, you will lead and grow our Engineering function as we scale globally. You will lead and support our Identity, Client Platform, Networking, Infrastructure, and Collaboration functions and drive the effectiveness and efficiency of our execution, delivery, and change management processes. This is both a strategic and hands-on role, requiring you to work across the organization to improve the way we operate.
In your role within the Business Technology (BT) team, you will be instrumental in standardizing our technology processes to enhance team effectiveness and efficiency. Your responsibilities include developing our Core BT roadmap, leading the test, execution and optimization of our tools, and managing the change required for our growth and scalability. Working closely with BT leadership, you will define crucial initiatives and establish the necessary reporting and analytics to track user adoption and impact. Your efforts will be key in fostering a culture that values collaboration, innovation, and technical expertise, thereby ensuring exceptional experiences for both customers and employees.
- Provide leadership and direction to the engineering team, offering guidance, mentorship, and performance management to foster a culture of technical excellence and innovation.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to ensure seamless integration and interoperability of cloud applications with other systems, enhancing organizational efficiency and user experience.
- Manage the budget, resources, and vendor relationships for various cloud applications within our E2E Enterprise map, focusing on cost-effective utilization and strategic vendor management.
- Develop data driven KPIs, monitor the performance and usage of cloud applications, proactively identifying and resolving technical issues, and ensuring high availability and optimal user experience.
- Lead continuous improvement initiatives in engineering processes and tools to increase efficiency, quality, and agility in software development.
- Foster a collaborative and innovative work environment, encouraging the engineering team to experiment with new technologies and methodologies for business growth.
- Engage with a diverse and creative team, senior leaders, and architects, transforming process-heavy operations into automated governance solutions.
- Implement and manage systems operations with a focus on improving risk control and operational efficiency, utilizing your experience in global enterprise product operations and strong communication and logical skills.
- Develop and execute the strategy for Google Workspace applications, ensuring alignment with business objectives and IT architecture. This includes focusing on the integration and optimization of key Google Workspace tools such as Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, to enhance collaboration and productivity across the organization.
- Responsible for managing and maintaining the enterprise network infrastructure, including oversight of SD-WAN, Meraki, and Velocloud. Ensure network reliability and performance, keeping up with the latest advancements and maintaining relevant certifications to uphold high standards in network management and security.
- Design and implement secure, scalable solutions leveraging cloud enterprise tools like Okta for identity and access management. Establish a comprehensive governance framework that ensures adherence to security, privacy, and regulatory standards, protecting the secure access and management of corporate resources.
- Lead the deployment and management of client platform endpoints across the enterprise, encompassing Mac OS, Windows, and Linux environments. Ensure scalable and secure configuration of these platforms, optimizing performance and compatibility while maintaining compliance with organizational IT standards and cybersecurity protocols.
- Partner with stakeholders in implementation and optimization of Atlassian products, including Jira Software, Confluence, and Jira Service Management, to enhance project management, documentation, and IT service processes across the organization. Ensure these platforms are seamlessly integrated, fostering collaboration and efficiency while aligning with the company’s operational and strategic goals.
- BA/BS degree in Management, Information Systems, Computer Science or equivalent degree/experience in related field
- 7-10 years in IT Engineering or Technical Operations with proven management experience, preferably at a fast-paced high-growth company
- Excellent written and verbal communication across a broad audience; demonstrates an ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Self starter with ability to sweat the details while developing a strategy and roadmap that will deliver high quality technical solutions and processes.
- Strong systems analysis and problem-solving skills with ability to prioritize and execute in a high-pressure environment, including making sound decisions in emergency situations.
- Advanced proficiency and/or experience managing an IT Engineering team owning a modern stack of systems and applications like Okta, Google Workspace, AWS, Jamf, Intune, Meraki, Slack, Zoom, Github, Snowflake, Jira Software, Jira Data Center
- Curiosity about life sciences!
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $190,825 - $258,175.
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.