Software Engineer, Full Stack (App Ecosystem)
Biotechnology is rewriting life as we know it, from the medicines we take, to the crops we grow, the materials we wear, and the household goods that we rely on every day. But moving at the new speed of science requires better technology.
Benchling’s mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world’s most innovative biotech companies use Benchling’s R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to milestone and market.
Come help us bring modern software to modern science.
Benchling's mission is to unlock the power of biotechnology. The world's most innovative biotech companies use Benchling's R&D Cloud to power the development of breakthrough products and accelerate time to market. Benchling's customers generate a rich and variety of science data. To keep up our innovation, Benchling needs a highly scalable and extensible data platform that can serve both its customers and internal application team.
Joining Benchling's Application Ecosystem team as a Software Engineer, you'll be instrumental in crafting, developing, and maintaining our innovative platform for scientific research and development. Working on a wide range of projects, you'll collaborate with teams across the company to build a growing application ecosystem, enabling developers to expand Benchling's suite of offerings. Your work will be vital in driving innovation, customization, and seamless integration of third-party solutions that empower scientists to achieve peak efficiency and make groundbreaking discoveries.
- Own projects end-to-end, from initial design, to prototype, to large-scale rollout.
- Architect resilient APIs, user interfaces, services, and frameworks that streamline the addition of applications to our ecosystem.
- Work hand in hand with product managers, designers, and fellow engineers to understand needs and shape them into scalable software solutions.
- Help rapidly scale our product and team. As a member of the engineering team, you will be an integral part of how we mature our tooling, engineering processes, and hiring.
- Ensure high quality and performance of the ecosystem through comprehensive testing, monitoring, and optimization.
Check out our engineering blog for some examples of past work. Here are some other examples of recent and future projects:
- Tools to simulate DNA assembly - computers can assist scientists by informing scientific decisions with complex calculations. Our bulk assembly tool allows scientists to simulate constructing hundreds of DNA constructs in parallel, visualizing the end result and highlighting potential issues.
- Chemistry tools - we have focused primarily on biology and biotech for the last 5 years, but are just starting new initiatives to expand our tools to support chemists as well. This will involve modeling complex chemical reactions within Benchling, and is an opportunity to see a new product grow from the ground up.
- Robot and machine integration - scientists are increasingly using automated hardware in the lab to perform measurements. By integrating Benchling with machines like liquid handlers, we are working towards a world where a scientist can perform a physical experiment entirely using software.
- Have 1 - 4 years of experience in a full stack software engineering role.
- Proficiency in modern web development technologies, encompassing backend languages like Python, Ruby, Java, or Go, and frontend frameworks such as Typescript, React, or GraphQL. Your expertise empowers us to build innovative and seamless web experiences.
- Build software with a product-first approach. You ship code quickly and care about the real world impact of your code.
- Have strong abilities in problem solving and iterating on feedback.
- Enjoy ownership and building key pieces of product.
- Have a keen interest in delving deeper into life science. While prior knowledge isn’t a pre-requisite, an enthusiasm to learn certainly is.
Benchling takes a market-based approach to pay. The candidate's starting pay will be determined based on job-related skills, experience, qualifications, interview performance, and work location. For this role the base salary range is $134,385 - $181,815.
To help you determine which zone applies to your location, please see this resource. If you have questions regarding a specific location's zone designation, please contact a recruiter for additional information.
Total Compensation includes the following:
- Competitive salary and equity
- 100% premiums covered for health, dental, and vision for employees
- Fertility healthcare and family-forming benefits
- Four months of fully paid parental leave
- 401(k) + Employer Match
- Commuter benefits
- Home office stipend
- Mental health benefits + Wellness stipend
- Learning and development stipend
- Generous PTO
- Company-wide Summer & Winter holiday shutdown
- Sabbaticals for 5-year and 10-year anniversaries
Benchling welcomes everyone.
We believe diversity enriches our team so we hire people with a wide range of identities, backgrounds, and experiences.
We are an equal opportunity employer. That means we don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We also consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law, including but not limited to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.