Senior Backend Engineer - App O11y Receivers (Remote, EMEA)
This is a remote position. We are looking for candidates in EMEA time zones.
What is Grafana Cloud?
Grafana Cloud is our composable observability platform that integrates metrics, logs, and traces with Grafana. It allows our customers to leverage the best open source observability software – including Prometheus, Mimir, Loki, and Tempo – without the overhead of installing, maintaining and scaling their own observability stack
The Application Observability department is focused on enabling developers to understand the health and performance of their applications in any environment by providing tools to instrument their code, ingest observability data into Grafana Cloud and visualize and explore it.
As a company we are remote-first and global, we embrace people of different experiences and backgrounds to build diverse teams where every person brings a unique perspective to the software. We are looking for Engineers that are passionate about communicating with data and providing seamless experiences for our customers to join our growing team! Engineers at Grafana also have the opportunity to contribute to Open Source communities.
What will you be doing?
- Work with your team to deliver new functionality, then use the results to iterate and improve
- Contributing to and reviewing design documents for upcoming features
- Embrace our open-source culture and contribute to other projects that may not directly fall within your team’s scope
- Take an active role in influencing our roadmap and your career objectives
- Be a part of your team’s on-call rotations and take ownership of the services you’re running
- Mentor and support other team members, participate in design discussions, and collaborate with the team
- Regularly sharing ideas and knowledge across a vast array of technical ideologies and mindsets
- Working closely with the other squads in the Application Observability
As we are remote-first and our engineering organization is largely remote, we provide guidance and meet regularly using video calls, so an independent attitude and good communication skills are a must.
What are we looking for in you?
You are comfortable working in a remote-first company; communication is key. For us, working together means being collaborative, friendly, kind, and respectful. We operate by consensus, you can contribute to a discussion but then commit to the team decision.
You are eager to learn and grow. Our team is currently looking to double in size over the next year. There is a lot of room for growth and development, and the team has quite a lot of knowledge to share for those who are willing to learn.
You enjoy working on complex solutions – Grafana is a highly technological solution and has avid followers who rely on it every day and care deeply about their workflows.
You enjoy being part of the community. Community is part of our core, and interacting with the community is a day-to-day thing for us. At the same time, you know how to recognize ideas and solutions that bring the biggest value to them and have the biggest impact on their experience.
You approach development holistically. The team owns the full life cycle of our code; from writing design docs, to looking at community feedback, and integration testing. We appreciate engineers who enjoy looking at the big picture, and also notice the details of the brush strokes.
You have some experience with operating your code, and the intricacies thereof. Since a lot of operators and developers use our software, having some grounding in both of these spaces really helps us with building better software for our users.
- Have solid experience with Go
- Good understanding of storage solutions with an emphasis on relational databases like MySQL, SQLite, and Postgres
- Care deeply about developer and user experience and the quality of the products that you work on
- Have some experience with delivering projects from gathering requirements, and brainstorming ideas to shipping a product to the customer’s hands in a self-driven way
- Have experience writing clean, robust, and performant software that is easily maintained by others
- Have experience with mentoring junior engineers in a collaborative but asynchronous environment
- Enjoy working on complex solutions – Grafana is a highly technical solution and has avid followers who rely on it every day and care deeply about their workflows.
- Can take on complex challenges and break them down to achieve tight learning loops: to analyze, design, and build modular solutions, deliver MVPs, gather data and feedback, and then progress iteratively
- Experience with open-source software and/or commercial open-source companies
- Experience working with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience with CI/CD, DevOps, or Developer Efficiency work streams
- Been a user of Grafana and Prometheus in operational roles
- Familiarity with being on-call and performing operations/SRE tasks
- Exposure to microservices architecture and distributed systems, or a desire to learn