Software Development Manager III - Marketplaces Growth (Remote)
ID.me simplifies how people securely prove and share their identity online. The company empowers people to control their data through a portable and trusted login, which means they don’t need to create a new password when visiting sites that have the ID.me button.
The COVID-19 pandemic accelerated digital migration for many critical services. Those services require a trusted identity to safeguard against fraud and help ensure people are who they claim to be. With ID.me, login and identity credentials move with people, which can reduce the time and frustration of having to verify at multiple sites and set up multiple passwords.
ID.me is a credential service provider compliant with federal standards for digital identity verification.
In addition to helping people control their credentials and data, the company’s “No Identity Left Behind” initiative strives to expand access and inclusion for all people. The company offers multiple pathways to verification – online self-serve, live video chat agents, and in person. ID.me is passionate about building a robust identity network that does not compromise access for traditionally underserved groups.
Software Development Manager III - Marketplaces Growth
ID.me is looking for a Software Development Manager III with experience in managing one or more teams. This person will be responsible for the team powering traffic generation and member activation in our B2C application ecosystem. This includes new member experience, notifications (email, push, etc.), SEO, referrals, personalized placements, and other systems that drive the nurturing and reinforcement of the member journey in ID.me Marketplaces.
Marketplaces is one of the fastest growing domains at ID.me, with this team in particular actively expanding in both scope and engineering staff. This role will have the opportunity to build systems and features at scale that drive the future experience for the 100 million+ ID.me members on ID.me Shop, ID.me Homepage, ID.me Rx, and other emerging verticals. We’ll be leveraging this foundational work immediately to drive incremental improvement to our applications as we build out additional capabilities and systems, so the ability to balance short term benefits without compromising long term design are crucial to success in this position.
As a people manager this role is directly responsible for leading the team through its expansion, assessing and hiring potential engineers, and leveling up the engineers on the team through direct mentoring. In addition, they’ll work cross functionally with other product and engineering teams to define best practices, processes, and policies that can be scaled out to ensure success as the organization grows.
- Build and manage a team of 4-10 engineers
- Coach and guide the professional development of your team members by providing regular feedback in 1:1s and performance management through quarterly and yearly reviews
- Exert significant influence on the overall vision and long-term goals of the team by participating in roadmap planning with engineering and product leadership
- Collaborate with team members, product managers, other engineering teams, and leadership stakeholders to solve the right problems and build the best solutions for customer needs
- Provide oversight for high level technical discussions and decisions and act as a mentor to other engineers through code reviews, architecture document critiques, and leading cross team knowledge sharing forums
- Act as application owner by reviewing PRs, shipping releases, participating in on call rotations, and leading the charge on incident response
- Be willing and able to occasionally jump in, debug, and write code to accelerate the team. Will not own features as a manager, but should be able to contribute strategically when needed
- Plan and manage engineering resources to achieve predictable roadmap delivery, iterating and managing the sprint schedule and backlog as priorities change and escalations occur
- At least 2 years of experience managing a team of 4+ engineers
- Experience with relational databases such as PostgresSQL MySql, or similar
- Experience operating in any Agile environment (Scrum, Kanban, SAFe, etc.) and leveraging planning tools (Jira, Trello, ProductPlan, etc.) to plan, assign, track, and report on the work of the team
- Experience making decisions in a data-driven manner, gathering evidence, formulating opinions, and driving consensus on solutions through detailed write-ups and presentations
- Hands on leader with a bias towards action, proactively addressing problems both technically and organizationally
- Strong understanding of A|B testing strategies and ability to interpret results
- Ability to thrive when priorities change and escalations occur, with a track record of exercising sound judgment on when to make short and long term tradeoffs for the good of the engineering team, the codebase, and the business while avoiding costly product and engineering mistakes
- Passion for software engineering, learning, and continuous improvement through a demonstrated pattern of consistent growth and curiosity
- Proven track record of building, owning, delivering, and maintaining quality products
- Experience managing a team that owns a consumer facing application at scale
- Previous experience working at a growing start-up
- Deep experience in automated testing methodologies and tools
- Experience hiring and assessing talent
- Engineering experience using Ruby on Rails
- Understanding of technologies such as OpenID Connect (OIDC), SAML, XACML SCIM, OAuth, Federation, etc
* Must be located in the continental U.S. and work core EST or CST hours
ID.me maintains a work environment free from discrimination, where employees are treated with dignity and respect. All ID.me employees share in the responsibility for fulfilling our commitment to equal employment opportunity. ID.me does not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. ID.me adheres to these principles in all aspects of employment, including recruitment, hiring, training, compensation, promotion, benefits, social and recreational programs, and discipline. In addition, ID.me's policy is to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified employees who have protected disabilities to the extent required by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances where a particular employee works. Upon request we will provide you with more information about such accommodations.
ID.me participates in E-Verify.